On Monday, presidential spokesman Mac Maharaj released a statement saying Zuma had decided not to act on his request to withdraw the certificate of recognition of the king.
This came as lawyers representing the king were preparing to argue in the Mthatha High Court on Friday that Zuma’s plans were not legal.
Maharaj said Zuma needed more time to consider a way forward. Last month, he asked the king to give him reasons why he should not lose his throne.
“He won’t be pursuing the matter
until he has given it his full consideration,” said Maharaj.
Maharaj admitted that the state attorneys representing Zuma had missed the deadline of 29 August to file their answering affidavits.
The lawyers then wrote to the king’s lawyers asking for a postponement.
However, Bulwana Bangani from Bangani Attorneys, who is representing the king, said they wrote a letter yesterday asking for clarity on the requested postponement.
According to Bangani, the king was against the postponement.
)Meanwhile, Eastern Cape Premier Phumulo Masualle and MEC for Traditional Affairs Mlibo Qoboshiyane wrote to Bangani Attorneys saying they had nothing to do with the issue.
“They stated that they had not at any point seen or been in possession of documents relating to the removal of the king,” said Bangani.
Bangani said this strengthened the argument that Zuma had not followed proper procedure as he should have consulted the premier and MEC.
King Dalindyebo’s statement said: “The postponement is awkward but I’m very happy that the MEC and the premier have distanced themselves from this matter. Zuma is alone now.”